Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colourful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain has each motive to be excessive on the listing for journey bucket lists.
Town is a mix of influences, there may be the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil struggle and unrest. Combine this in with an enormous migrant and expat group and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages and types.
Possibly you wish to keep within the coronary heart of the outdated city and Gothic structure, or do you wish to expertise the mix of metropolis and seaside in Barceloneta? It could possibly be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda particular person and wish to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, countless buying alternatives and Gaudi round what looks like virtually each nook.
Both method, we have now the perfect of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can determine for your self!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E mail and Affiliate Advertising Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: On the lookout for extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve acquired a publish about our favourite food & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely advocate. We even have extra posts on travel in Europe.
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to seek out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Suggestions
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed below are a number of ideas that can assist you put together in your journey to Barcelona.
- Be aware of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heat year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! The perfect months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are snug, and the town parks and tree-lined avenues look stunning. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together a number of Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a fundamental grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you will get away with English, though most vacationer locations do communicate English!
- Keep protected: Pickpockets are a giant drawback in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you’re prone to encounter thieves. Don’t depart your cellphone on a desk, hold your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey carrying an expensive-looking watch and hold your bag both tied to your chair or in your knee. At all times be vigilant!
- Eat all of the foods and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies is scrumptious, with numerous recent hearty substances, good olive oils and little tapas plates. There may be additionally the Basque affect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favourite approach to eat! Cava can be made within the area so first rate cava prices little or no. Take a food and wine tour in case you can to expertise it multi function afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The proper abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer staff. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply follow Barcelona.
- Carry snug strolling sneakers: Town is extremely walkable however elements of it are hilly and you’ll cowl much more floor than you understand whereas gawking on the structure. So pack first rate sneakers you realize will hold your ft blissful and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve acquired a Barcelona self-guided walking tour – and we’ve additionally acquired options for the perfect strolling sneakers for journey. Listed below are our favourite journey sneakers for men and for women.
- Completely different areas even have totally different hyperlinks to different elements of the town: The metro system is great and pretty simple to navigate however in case you want to keep away from utilizing it or buses then you must base your self strolling distance to the stuff you wish to see or at the least on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and adjustments. An space could also be quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so bear in mind the place you wish to be in relation to the place you wish to keep.
- Keep away from short-term residence leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot larger than is inexpensive for residents and creating a variety of scams and disparity. Accommodations have been badly affected by the pandemic so that they deserve the assist relatively than grasping property house owners who would relatively depart an residence empty as a substitute of renting it for an affordable worth to a neighborhood. There are even new legal guidelines limiting vacationer licenses and you’re not allowed to lease a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be a accountable vacationer, and keep in a resort!
- In case your check-in and check-out occasions don’t sync up along with your have to roam the streets and also you want a spot to retailer your baggage, try LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a protected place to maintain your baggage when you’re operating round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods known as barrios, every with its personal distinct persona, vibe and attraction. To the uninitiated, you might wrestle to know the place to go and what to do, however don’t fear, I acquired you lined!
As with many cities, there may be additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see consumers swinging baggage from Gucci, Versace and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low cost hippy outlets promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes and road meals. Barcelona is that type of place!
This provides to the allure of the town, you’re all the time only a quick stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing utterly totally different and discovering a hidden gem. Which does make looking down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – every part your coronary heart needs might be present in Barcelona!
Previous Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The outdated a part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers after they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming a part of the town. Filled with outdated winding streets, stunning historic buildings, church buildings, lovely eating places and hidden options round each nook.
That is the place you will see that Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and a complete host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is the perfect place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go to.
Nonetheless, you do want to select rigorously as some streets are a bit of shadier than others, some are noisy, and people cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in in case you don’t see daylight out of your resort room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of the town and is a brief stroll to the seaside, with elements of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The realm can be extra open to vacationers so that you usually tend to discover a place to seize a espresso and a pastry if you’re an early morning kind of particular person.
That is additionally the perfect place to base your self if you’re planning on taking our Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona. A lot of the tour covers this space and can be the place you end so you’re a quick stroll again to your resort afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There are a mix of dear resorts on this space in addition to some critically price range hostels. Beneath are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a type of good types of hostels with clear, vivid rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a fairly, outdated church. Historical past in your windowsill!
- For one thing a bit of fancier Barcelona Hotel Colonial is true within the coronary heart of Gothic in a gorgeous colonial constructing, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit in some other course takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as attainable to the eccentric La Rambla then the May Ramblas Hotel is the one for you. It’s situated only some doorways down a facet road from La Rambla and can be the identical road you head all the way down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
Barceloneta / Seashore
For these trying extra for the seaside vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s virtually unattainable to get misplaced. To 1 facet is Port Vell, to the south is the seaside, head north to El Born and east to Villa Olympica, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summer season Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a superb place to really feel you’re staying proper on the seaside with out lacking out on that Barcelona outdated metropolis allure. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different elements of the town however the seaside environment is sort of year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seaside bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are all the time folks skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seashore
There are a number of bigger resorts on this space as you’ll count on with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Take a look at the well-known landmark resort The W, stunning and epic views however out of price range for many vacationers! You may nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub, in case you can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the highway from the place the barrio begins, the Hotel Oasis has a tremendous rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in the direction of the marina. From right here you may entry El Born, Gothic and Barceloneta in only a quick stroll.
- Hotel 54 Barceloneta is true on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seaside, this could be my decide if going for the seaside resort possibility. The rooftop bar can be like a bit of backyard paradise, good for resting after a protracted day of exploring.
- For a extra price range room, the Sea Hostel is a superb decide for dorm room-style lodging, it’s also subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly wonderful pastries. Get up early, seize a espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seaside.
Welcome to Eixample, the world that you just’ll see most in aerial photographs of Barcelona, these good pink sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This a part of the town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run by means of, it’s the place the designer outlets are and can be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, apart from the irritating pink mild cease/begin system which does make site visitors heavier right here. However most resorts have first rate sound insulation so you may keep away from site visitors noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona model with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and delightful balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de les Punxes and lots of different architectural beauties. Strolling round this space you’ll simply hold stumbling into one other stunning constructing after one other, and in case you get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The buying can be unimaginable right here with every part from high-end designer shops, to excessive road buying, to unbiased boutiques. If you wish to store with out having to stroll far to drop your baggage again on the resort, that is the place to do it.
This space can be very well related with public transport, the buses run commonly and there are a variety of metro stations in addition to practice stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’ll count on there isn’t a scarcity of resorts in Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end resorts. Listed below are some fo the perfect ones:
- After I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via and it’s the place I like to recommend mates to remain for an important worth resort. The workers was a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are vivid and comfy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Hotel Royal Passeig de Gràcia is a superb alternative, and although the worth is a bit of larger it’s not eye-watering. You might go all out for a collection with a non-public terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally beautiful.
- If you wish to exit your resort to the scent of recent bread and pastries then you must guide Praktik Bakery, with rooms as recent because the bread and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply be certain to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona aside from near the long-lasting Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your most important motive for visiting Barcelona, and no one will decide you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You may meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica and customarily gaze on the unimaginable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant decisions aren’t the greatest, and aside from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however it’s tremendous near Eixample and simple to get to different elements of the town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
After all, if you’re staying on this space you then completely want a resort with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most cost effective rooms within the metropolis however there are some well-priced resorts value checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced residences with a gorgeous shared roof terrace overlooking the long-lasting church. Right here you will get the bonus of a non-public residence whereas nonetheless having the chance to get pleasure from a shared house with fellow vacationers.
- For a resort possibility, the Sercotel Rosellón has vivid rooms, an important breakfast and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic approach to spend a day in case you ask me!
On the lookout for a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an unbiased city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and happy with their neighborhood.
Now the world is stylish and filled with unbiased outlets, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level the place folks hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato outlets close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however seems like a special world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are principally pedestrianized and there’s a extra eclectic combine of individuals strolling the streets.
The realm can be identified for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is extensively often known as the perfect. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for the perfect decor. Though bear in mind in case you go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t count on any peace and quiet, the events can go on all evening!
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary alternative amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel such as you’ve hit a bit of hidden gem, and resorts are usually a bit of cheaper too.
- Hotel Ronda Lesseps is a cute resort with a gorgeous inside courtyard backyard hooked up to the resort bar. It is usually only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of the town on this little oasis.
- A extra upmarket possibility with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell resort, costs aren’t vastly totally different however it’s barely extra exterior the central a part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in resorts are an actual deal with however they do get busy so keep in mind to order a solar lounger in your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Accommodations in Barcelona
In case you are like the remainder of Crew Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you may be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a superb place to journey along with your furry greatest buddy.
Most eating places are accommodating, a variety of outlets have water bowls exterior for passing canine and it isn’t unusual to see canine becoming a member of buying journeys. My canine loves coming buying, it normally means getting numerous love from retailer attendants, treats and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you may deliver your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nonetheless, simply bear in mind that in the summertime months (from Could to October) canine aren’t allowed on the primary seashores so you’ll have to discover the dog beach simply exterior the primary metropolis heart.
After I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly resort and I’ve a number of mates who’ve additionally accomplished the identical. A number of resorts are used to canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So in case you journey along with your little buddy these are the perfect locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This resort is true reverse Ciutadella Park, which is by far among the best parks for canine within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine house owners with pups enjoying on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The resort can be a brief stroll to the seaside and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring the town. The resort itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and magnificence, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There may be additionally a stunning outside space to get pleasure from an aperitif.
- Hotel Balmes: An actual gem of a resort, they really have a particular bundle for canine, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks and toys, and housekeeping can be delicate to their particular guests. There may be additionally an African artwork assortment all through the resort, a backyard and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via: This resort has 2 areas not too removed from one another, as talked about after I arrived in Barcelona I stayed on the Gran Through resort and it was really unimaginable. The rooms are clear and spacious, and the workers are wonderful and really accommodating. The identical vibe can be at their different resort Diputación, each are in Eixample and very well situated for accessing the remainder of the town.
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as a complete is fairly protected and there are few areas to keep away from, these are normally simply sure streets relatively than complete areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious relatively than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however if you’re an skilled traveler and hold your wits about you, you’ll be wonderful. It helps to bear in mind that Barcelona has a variety of poverty and the common wage completely doesn’t match the price of residing and housing right here.
There may be additionally a big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless folks in sure areas, if this offends you then higher to keep away from the town solely as nobody space is healthier than others.
Apart from that, there are some areas of the town which are simply not value staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Usually whenever you hear tales of pickpockets, you’re listening to tales of Raval, which is situated to the west facet of La Rambla.
The realm is charming in its personal method, however I wouldn’t advocate it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling dwelling in the dead of night isn’t advisable.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: In case you are nonetheless in search of the quirky outdated city model that elements of Raval have then keep in Gothic as a substitute. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of outdated buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark issues. May Ramblas Hotel is nicely situated for La Rambla with out the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of the town and could be very residential. Housing might be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a special clientele than what most vacationers could be interested by.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout the town might be beautiful however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so will probably be a protracted stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you wish to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra allure and simpler entry to the remainder of the town. Additionally contemplate Gràcia for a similar causes. Praktik Bakery offers you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
For those who hunt for lodging that’s quick access to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to have a look at, it’s also near the long-lasting Montjuïc which is great to discover. You may also go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nonetheless, to get wherever you have to to leap on the metro or practice, it’s nicely related however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of the town you’ll have fairly a protracted stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can gradual you down.
Additionally as it’s a most important transport connection level it does are usually actually busy within the stations, which may get overwhelming if you’re determining methods to get to the place you wish to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: For straightforward entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place you must be in addition to the Sants cease does. It is usually a most important level for the airport shuttle buses to start out from, which is by far the simplest approach to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is very well situated for ease to journey.
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s numerous data! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here we have now an at a look abstract:
- The Greatest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Previous Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Greatest Accommodations in Barcelona: Greatest choices are Barcelona Hotel Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran Via and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Greatest Canine-Pleasant Accommodations in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran Through and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can’t beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? Briefly, AirBnB and quick time period residence leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities all over the world. Discovering an precise dwelling within the metropolis is an actual drawback and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the common particular person can not afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t accomplished a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we advocate you to be a responsible traveler and select to remain in resorts as a substitute, which have been after all closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the greatest concepts of the place to remain so you may plan the remainder of your journey! If you are within the strategy planning stage don’t neglect to join our Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona to get a downloadable information to discover the town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you’re most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback beneath
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? We now have explored a few!
Psst: Save this publish for afterward Pinterest!